From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:34:49 -0500
Don wonders where the tracks went.  Well....they might have joined the
Index Points which seem to have migrated to oblivion.  My first CD player
was able to program by index points, but none of the others I have can do
this.  No big deal, except that when they are present on a CD, they foul up
any random setting.  I don't program that way anyhow, so no big loss for
me.

It is my understanding that Index Points were invented as sub-tracks to
allow someone to directly access say, the recapitulation of a theme or the
coda etc.  I do have several CD's on which this seems to be the case, and
one Alkan disk where individual pieces of a larger cycle are separately
indexed, but *not* tracked.  This makes it really hard to make a tape of
just certain pieces.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this??? [As it relates specifically to
classical music, please.  -Dave]

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan