From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:47:03 -0700
Derek Lim asks about Prokofiev symphonies:

>This cycle seems to have invited sharply divided opinions.  Can someone
>comment on these performances?  Thanks!

If you are overly familiar with the first mov't of the 5th, and want a
refreshing view of the rest of the symphony, I really was taken by Simon
Rattle's acct.  on EMI.  He really brings out the chattering trombones
towards the end of the symphony like no other acct.  I have heard.  I takes
a lot for me to replace a CD of music I haven't been in love with since I
was 19, but I said goodbye Slatkin, hello Simon.

As for the 6th, Andre Previn on Phillips with the LA Phil is a knock out!
Not to mention the Synthian Suite--best I've ever heard and nothing polite
about it.  Rattle fan that I can sometimes be, the LA Phil blows the
Birmingham away on this one.

The second mov't of the 2nd symphony is a real sleeper.  I only know the
Rostropovich on Erato, but I'ts ok.

John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>