From:
Jason Greshes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 16:46:19 -0400
Jan Templiner wrote:

>(Jarvi/Vanska) now they're embarking on a second Nielsen cycle.  What has
>happened to these labels? Isn't it enough to have five Brahms cycles from
>DG? But then, I'm very happy about the Vanska Sibelius..

Two things, most likely, one for each company.

1) Naxos originally planned to release a few recordings, make a quick buck,
and close up shop. Obviously that last part never happened.  But they
have some early recordings that fall in the "what was available at the
time" catagory and could use replacement, particularly when the recording
orchestra can line up some sponsorships that further defray the cost of
recording.

2) BIS has a star in Vanska.  When you have a star, you record him/her.
I'm all for BIS letting him record whatever he likes, no matter whether
it causes duplications in the BIS catalog.  I'm buying.  I wish the
Philadelphia Orchestra had hired him.

Jason