From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:56:26 -0500
Sorry about my incomplete recollection from memory regarding the dedication
of the Bruckner 3rd.  Thanks to Deryk for the full and correct story.
Schonzeler is an excellent book, and had I taken it down from my shelf
before the earlier post.....

John Dalmas's post regarding the First Version of the Third needs
clarification, and this one I will try to get right, not relying on the
old brain-box alone.

We've always got to distinguish between Bruckner's First Version of some of
the symphonies, and the first Edition; i.e., the first published edition.

The first published edition of the Third was indeed cut and
"editorialized"; it is, however, not substantially different from the
Symphony's third version from Bruckner's own hand.  The Szell/Cleveland
and Sanderling/Leipzig recordings, for example, use this first published
edition of the Third.  It is best referred to as the 1888/89 version, the
edition of which was published in 1890.

On the other hand, the first version of the Third does survive in
Bruckner's own manuscript.  It dates from the years 1873/74 and does
indeed contain direct quotations from Wagner.  This is the manuscript that
Bruckner showed to Wagner in Bayreuth.  The recordings by Norrington and by
Inbal use this first version, which was first published (only recently) by
the International Bruckner Society under the editorial supervision of
Leopold Nowak.

The Wagner quotations were excised from the first version by Bruckner
himself during the years 1876/78; this resulted in the second version.
It has been recorded by, for example, Haitink.

There are some additional variants among the versions of the 3rd, which
makes its case the most confusing of the Bruckner canon.

I hope this helps!

John M. Proffitt
General Manager & C.E.O.
Radio Station KUHF-FM