From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:45:09 -0400
Kyle Major wrote:

>Especially in recent years this has been a top-40 classical station.  In
>fact, a few years ago they sent out a survey asking for favorite classical
>pieces.  As a result, we hear Mozart's clarinet concerto, Pachebel's canon,
>Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, and Mussorsky's Pictures at an Exhibition each
>at least three times a week.  The only twentieth century works regularly
>programmed are Barber's Adagio (which is really late romantic), Copland's
>Hoedown, and Holst's Jupiter.

Sounds to me as though it's in the clutches of someone who just doesn't
understand CM at all, but for some odd reason thinks it is a Good Idea
to play at least some pop-CM favorites.  What sort of music department
is there at that school, and is it involved with the station at all? Our
12-hour-a-day CM station in Philly is owned by Temple University, which has
a very good music department, and it also inherited some of the staff as
well as the record library of the previous commercial CM station when it
was slaughtered, so it is run by very knowledgeable staff (the other 12
hours are devoted to jazz, which also has a savvy staff).  Another factor,
of course, is the degree of sophistication of the audience and its
willingness to get involved.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]