From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:55:06 -0600
Mark Ehlert replies to Jocelyn Wang:

>>Classical music requires concentration, an intellectual effort
>>that is almost never required of pop.
>
>"...Almost never..."  I'm curious what the exceptions might be.

Perhaps Jocelyn merely wished to avoid making a categorical statement.
However, I can think of a lot of pop that, while it may not require
concentration, certainly rewards it.  For example,

* Irving Berlin's "Pack Up Your Sins and Go to the Devil" -- a fiendish
duet, no pun intended, that drew the admiration of such notables as Gilbert
Seldes and Alec Wilder

* Harold Arlen's "Blues in the Night" -- a wonderful riff on blues ideas
(even though it's not a blues)

* Gershwin's "Our Love Is Here to Stay" -- just the opening three chords
repay thought

* Lennon's "Martha, My Dear" -- for its rhythmic twists; Berlin's "Puttin'
on the Ritz" for the same reason

* Any number of songs by Gillian Welch, whose lyrics actually *require*
concentration.

I've deliberately left out genres like bluegrass and jazz.

Steve Schwartz