From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:38:05 -0400
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>The last 'Two New Hours,' CBC FM's Sunday night new CM show, closed with
>an octet for strings by US composer Steve Mackey (b.  1956). ...
>
>Anyone familiar with this composer? I'd be interested in hearing your
>comments and/or recommendations, on or off-line.

I saw him when I played at last year's Bang On A Can marathon.  He was
playing electric guitar in a small ensemble.  The particular pieces of his
that he was performing consisted of a trio or so of instruments and a track
of sampled voices, similar in concept to Steve Reich's 'Different Trains.'
I liked it a good deal but have not looked any further into his music.

Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>