From:
Kyle Major <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:13:11 -0500
I think we truly live in a superfluous culture, especially when seen
through the lens of a consumer.  I think if you count the number of
Coca-Cola ads you come across in a day you will realize this.  (Yes, coke
paid me to mention their name).  The number of websites on banana peel
sticker collections would be another example.  Or how about the number of
shampoos on the market...it's ludicrous.  I wonder if there are works of
art that represent this aspect of our lives, and are superfluous for a
reason.  This is definitely a loaded question.  Andy Warhol's coke bottles
come to mind.  Perhaps the minimalism of Glass and others fits this, I'm
not sure.  I'm sure someone on this list can name some pieces that match
the redundant nature of days blurring together in an uneventful month.

I realize that this is a bit off from what was originally posed.  However,
perhaps the seemingly superfluous nature of some works can say something
artistic by being superfluous in a way that resembles our own lives.

I am interested in what people think of this...

Kyle Major