From:
Dan Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:27:03 -0700
The price of a CD is not the only measure of its worth.  It's duration
is another measure.  (CD cover is not).  For example, compare Hewitt's
Goldberg variations on Hyperion (79 minutes) to Pollini's Beethoven 5th
on DG (39 minutes).  Great physicists were honored by naming units after
them (Gauss, Newton ...).  Following the same tradition, Richard Pennycuick
rightly honored Naxos and named a unit of CD price after them for their
contribution to lowering CD prices.

In my opinion, Hyperion should be honored too because of the generous
amount of music in their CDs.  (I also like their CD covers) Therefore I
suggest a unit of price/time for CDs the "Naxos/Hyperion".  This is Bach's
year so as a working definition I propose 1 Naxos/Hyperion = The price of
the Goldberg variation CD on Naxos divided by the time it took Hewitt to
play the Goldberg on Hyperion.  (This proposal also rectifies a slight
problem with Richard's proposal - the price of a Naxos CD varies from CD
to CD)

Dan Zimmerman (not associated with Hyperion)