From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:28:12 +0000
Leon Le Leu writes:

>How do you go with Haydn then; or the Schubert songs; or the Scarlatti
>Sonatas?  These would certainly take over your life for months.  Mozart
>would also be a problem.

These obsessions don't take over one's life, just the musical portion.
For me, they are voluntary decisions that bring great joy and enlightenment.
I don't give any thought as to what I may be missing while I'm concentrating
on only one composer or even just one work.  All it takes is to zero in
on something and not to let go until completion sets in.  Disappointment
sets in when I don't follow through to the end.

The above type of feeling is starting to hit me with Bartok's music.
I haven't given this composer anywhere near the time and concentration
I would like to give him, and redressing the issue would satisfy me
very much.

Speaking of Bartok, I plan to begin with his solo piano music, an area
I always find best suited for me.  I have the three Jando discs on Naxos
and the 5-cd Sandor set on Vox.  I also intend to acquire what I can of
the discs that Kocsis made for Philips.  Beyond that, does anyone have
recommendations concerning other fine Bartok solo piano discs or sets?

Might as well add the six String Quartets to the equation.  The sets I
own include the Emerson on DG, the Takacs on Decca, Juilliard (81) on
Sony, and Novak on Philips.  I am also aware of other sets such as the
Lindsays on ASV, Hungarian on DG, Vegh on Naive, Takacs on Hungaroton,
Ramor on Tuxedo, New Budapest on Hyperion, Alban Berg on EMI, Vertavo
on Simax, Tatrai on Hungaroton, Hagan on DG, Juilliard on Retrospective,
Juilliard on Pearl, and Chilingrian on Chandos.  Any recommendations
here?  The line-up looks very impressive.

Don Satz