From:
David Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:18:58 -0800
Roger speaks to the Munch Berlioz Requiem:

> ...this is certainly worth getting for Munch and the BSO in its French
> prime.  For me, in addition, Leopold Simoneau is worth the price of
> admission.  His Sanctus has never been equaled in my experience.

The Munch is certainly good, but let us not forget the incredible
Fournet recording of 1943.  I daresay that the tenor Georges Jouatte
is equal to or even better than Simoneau.  In any case, this is my
benchmark recording.  I bought the 78 rpm album in 1947, and I think
it is not an exaggeration to say that it changed my life.  It certainly
introduced me to Berlioz, which can be a life-changing experience in
itself.  I am sad to say that I have never heard a live performance
of the Requiem.  Maybe someday -- if I live long enough.

David Lamb in Seattle  (a big town with small ideas)