From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:34:48 +0100
Peter Goldstein wrote:

>As a confirmed Mozartian, my perspective may not be the best, but I'm
>surprised that Sinfonia Concertante would be a difficult piece to warm
>up to.

Is it? I never knew...I think its a *masterpiece* and quite accessible too.

>But it can be a tricky work in performance: you need soloists with a
>lot of spirit who have the discipline not to go over the top. The Szell
>recording has a high reputation, but the tempi in the outer movements
>are a bit too fast for me.

Do you mean the Druian/Skernich recording of 1963? I *do* like that one a
lot indeed...

>The one I like the best is an old Vanguard recording with Josef Suk as one
>of the soloists, also conducting his own chamber orchestra.  It's a very
>straightforward classicist reading, but gets all the emotional nuances
>right.

Which one is that? Could you give more details? I have Suk/Skampa in
which the conductor is Kurt Redel and I rate it very highly but your
recommendation makes me nervous ;) I should have that one...

>If you like old-fashioned romantic-style Mozart, I'd go for the
>Perlman/Zuckerman/Mehta recording on DGG--it's a live performance, very
>exciting, lots of virtuoso spirit.  I don't know the Heifetz/Primrose
>version; I guess that's just one more thing to listen to...

Oh yes but not if you have anything against fast tempi.......  The classic
recording of the pice is Sammons/Tertis (1933) and also Joseph and Lilian
Fuchs (1953).  These should not be missed if this work has really impressed
you.  Also: Menuhin/Barshai (1963), Oistrach/Barshai (1963 as well),
diifcult to choose...glad I dont have to.  A modern clasic performance
which IMO is highly recommendable: Grumiaux/Pellicia (1962).  I havent
heard any more recent performances on a par with these but I would be
obliged to anyone informing me about some, if they exist.

Philip