From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:33:29 +0100
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I just came into posession of a bound volume containing issues 1-95 of an
>old British publication called "The Oriana." It was published by Novello
>and contains scores to English Madrigals.  The book is a treasure trove
>of old scores.  I was wondering if any of our British listers could tell
>me more about this publication.  I find no dates anywhere in the volume
>as to when these magazines were released.  I would also be curious as to
>the value or collectability of this book.  Thanks for your help.

I can't find much about it.  The only library I've found that has a copy
of any of it is the Barber Music Library at Birmingham University.  If
searching for an old British publication, I recommend the COPAC combined
library catalogue at http://www.copac.ac.uk/ This contains bibliographic
records from about twenty research libraries in the British Isles,
including some 'copyright libraries' which get a copy of everything
published here.  Unfortunately, the holdings of some of these libraries
have not been included in the COPAC database in full yet, and sheet music
is often given low priority, but the chances are that if something was
published in Britain it will have an entry.

Virginia Knight, Institute for Learning and Research Technology
Personal hompage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html