From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:14:22 -0400
Yoel L. Arbeitman wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>Barenboim is advancing his agenda of peace and tolerance.  What more can
>>he do?  He is to be commended.

>...  I do believe that if some musicians from Egypt, let us say, were
>also coming to Israel to give concerts, the matter might be different.
>But it is only Mr.  Barenboim going to the other side.  This is a very
>complex matter and I would not discuss it on a music list normally.  I
>simply feel the need to be one voice of doubt in this possible propaganda
>message.

Palestinians and Israelis have demonized each other, brutalized each
other.  On the one side, terrible suicide attacks- on the other the
cruelty and wanton destructiveness of the Israeli army in the occupied
territories.  Barenboim is taking a small step in treating the Palestinians
as fellow humans.  The gesture may never be reciprocated, but maybe, In
its small way, it may lead to better things.  The small chance of success
is no reason to give it up.  Forget the complexity- it counts for nothing.

Bernard Chasan