From:
Michael Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:49:57 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Actually, I believe the ensemble performing Dvorak for Naxos is not the
>same Vlach quartet as performed for Supraphon years ago, but I am open to
>correction.  I have their CD of 8&11, by the way, (on Naxos) and am quite
>pleased with it.

In fact, the first violinist of the new Vlach Quartet is the daughter of
the first violinist, I think, of the original Vlach Quartet.

BTW, a 3-CD set of radio broadcast recordings of Dvorak Quartets and other
pieces, including the Op. 97 quintet, was released several years ago, on
Praga records, I believe.  The Vlach was not allowed to tour extensively
during their best years, so this is a wonderful addition to their small
discography.

Another group to seek out, not reissued on CD AFAIK, is the Dvorak Quartet.
Their version of the E major, Op. 27, often available in used LP
catalogues, is remarkable.  Listen to how they deal with the slow movement;
it is entrancing.

Michael Stein