From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:35:16 PST
Three new Bach recordings that I'm eagerly anticipating are due for U.S.
release on April 11.  Gardiner, on Archiv, is giving us a disc of Funeral
Cantatas, Decca releases a cantata disc featuring Goerne and Norrington,
and Angela Hewitt performs the Goldberg Variations for Hyperion.

The Bach anniversary has been a "goldrush" for lovers of Bach's
music.  Although I know this won't continue indefinitely, I've just
been luxuriating in it all.  It's not so much a matter of quantity, but
that a high percentage of releases have been excellent to outstanding.
Performers such as Hewitt, Gardiner, Schepkin, Tureck, Hantai, Suzuki,
Goebel, Rousset, Koopman, et al, are leading the way to a level of artistry
which easily surpasses any previous period of Bach recorded performances.
I think Bach would be thrilled with the results if he could communicate
with us.  It just might be time for a seance.  Do any list members believe
that communciation with the dead is viable? My spouse maintains to this
day that when her grandfather passed away when she was a teenager, he
approached her two days after the funeral, smiled lovingly at her, and then
vanished forever.  Now that's an "encore" performance that rates with the
best since it comforted her greatly and put her mind at ease about her
grandpa.  Oh well.  I don't anticipate hearing from Bach, but if I could
talk to any of the dead, he would be the one.  I would most want to know
his views of one-voice per part and the level of priority he placed on
physical intimacy (the man didn't write music *all* the time).

Don Satz