From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:23:26 +0000
Karl Miller writes:

>Also, can recommend the Hyperion issue of his two Symphonies.

I'm familiar with the Hyperion disc, and the Bortkiewicz symphonies are
fine works, although each is rather backward looking considering that
they were written in the 1930's.  For me, what saves these symphonies
is a wonderful use of the brass, and the performances highlight the brass
splendidly.

My review of the disc can be found in the Archives.  In that review, I
was skeptical that I would listen again in the near future - I haven't,
perhaps I will now that Karl has mentioned the disc.

Don Satz