From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 19:23:14 -0400
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Coincidentally, I've just picked up a copy of the old Karel Ancerl version
>of the Glagolitic Mass which still sounds great.  It's coupled with two
>orchestral pieces by Kabelac: Hamlet Improvisation and Mystery of Time.
>Apart from his 5th symphony, I'd not heard anything else by him.  Does
>anyone have any other recommendations?

"Mystery of Time" is a neglected masterpiece, in my opinion.  There is only
one more recording of it that I'm aware of (Stuttgart Radio Symphony/Jiri
Starek) and it's very hard to find (I have a tape that was sent to my by a
friend who recorded it off the air).  If you like Kabelac's idiom, I would
strongly recommend the Supraphon disc with symphony No.  4 and with his
short piece "Do not retreat!" (I think based on an old Hussite anthem,
but used by Kabelac to honor resistance against the Nazis).  Interesting
composer.

Coming back to Janacek, I would strongly recommend his opera "Memoirs
from the House of the Dead" based on Dostoyevsky, conducted by Neumann on
Supraphon.  Apart from Jenufa and Katya Kabanova, this is one of his best,
IMO.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California