From:
Nicolas Croze-Orton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:30:42 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I'm definitely not on your side.  It's quite a lyrical concerto

I don`t seem to be rude or crude, and if I am i apologize sincerely in
advance.  But I find this commentary devoid of depth...  Mendelssohn is
lyrical, so is Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Barber, Korngold....  They are all
very lyrical, even the concerto`s I do not like a lyrical...  I just think
that thinking it is quite lyrical is not an argument with depth, I am not
convinced.  I just think that the melody is boring...  It is well known
though in almost all musical circles, that Beethoven`s forte was not in
melody creation...  He surely is not to Schubert or Tchaikovsky`s height
for example...

P.S.: I am a big Beethoven lover by the way....  He is one of my favorite
composers.

[log in to unmask] writes:

>Can't resist. I'm the concerto hater so maybe I don't count. I like the
>first movement some, but essentially don't care for the work that much.

The last one is the one I almost like, we kind of make a good team, we
should listen to it together one day!:-)

[log in to unmask] writes:

>concerto IMHO.  I am especially fond of the last movement.  By the way, one
>doesn't use an apostrophe to indicate a plural.  Sorry, but it's one of my
>major pet peeves!

Sorry, I will make sure that I watch out for my english, french is my
first language and I still make many errors in english..... Thank you.

[log in to unmask] writes:

>If you find the Beethoven Violin Concerto boring, what sort of music do you
>find interesting?

I am sorry not to be able to reply, the list would be to long!!!

Bach is my favorite composer, followed by Shostakovitch, Schnittke,
Prokofiev, Mozart....  Beethoven is actually one of my favorite, I just
think the piece lacks a theme that interests my ear!!!

[log in to unmask] writes:

>If you want an example of filler sequences try the development section of
>the Tchaikovsky violin concerto (I).  Now THAT'S boring!  And I like the
>concerto.

I tend to agree, yet the Tchaikovsky, for all the pink flutter it is worth,
tends to touch me more than the Beethoven does!!

[log in to unmask] writes:

>Perhaps Nicolas is winding us up/presenting a controversial viewpoint in
>the hope of being violently disagreed with.  I would hope so.

No...  he is not..  The concerto really bores me half to death.....  Sorry

[log in to unmask] writes:

>Yes, I hate it along with that thing by Berg, the awful piece of trash
>for two violins by Bach, that terrible bon-bon by Mendelssohn

Smells like cynisism!!  ....  I never EVER though my viewpoint would be so
violent....

[log in to unmask] writes:

>very much enjoy the wit and insight so often in evidence on this list,
>and I appreciate the opportunity to share in the conversation.

Hail your partisanship!  youre objectivity and youre integrity!!  I enjoyed
youre constructive comment very much ....  I really enjoy being a part of
this list, it is filled with so many fine people!

I see many fans of the Beethoven violin concerto, I sort of was hoping for
that kind of a response, but i guess I was just curious..  Please all of
you remember though that it is not because I do not like the violin
concerto that I do not like Beethoven.  And a lot of you seem to think
this...  I am a Beethoven LOVER not hater!!

Nicolas