From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2000 11:48:04 -0700
Philip Peters ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>He lives around the corner from where I live so just between you and me and
>don't tell anybody: I agree.  John Ogdon is the pianist to hear in this
>repertoire IMO, especially the monumental Fantasia Contrapuntista.

Unfortunately JO didn't record anything like as much of it as DM.
Apart from the Fantasia Contrappuntistica and Fantasia nach JS Bach on
his Altarus/Continuum CD, there is just a handful of works I know of that
he recorded for EMI in the 1960s.  The variations on a theme by Chopin
are contained in the Great Pinanists Ogdon volume with the Alkan Concerto
(disapponting) and the Busoni Concerto (wonderful).  The Sonatina supra
Carmen and the Frauengemach from Turandot AFAIK haven't resurfaced on CD.

Incidentally, I notice that the Philips CD has the variations lited as
Chopin/Busoni - this is surely insulting.  I don't recall Brahms St.
Anthony Variations ever being listed as Haydn/Brahms even when it was
thought that Haydn had written the theme, or Chopin's OP.1, the variations
on La ci darem, which caused Schumann's "Hats off gentlemen!  a genius"
remark, being referred to as Mozart/Chopin.

Deryk Barker