From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:02:46 PDT
Sony has released a new set of Beethoven cello sonatas played on period
instruments by Bylsma and Immerseel.  It's a great set with Bylsma playing
with such a natural flow, Immerseel playing beautifully with a piano sound
to "die for", and both artists so well in tune with one another.  They
provide listeners with the full measure of an uplifting experience of
felling good, excitement, anticipation, power, and poetry.

I've been partial to the Coin/Cohen recordings on Harmonnia Mundi for many
years, but the new set has better sound and packs all the superb features
of the Harmonia Mundi.

To digress a little, I'm not aware of any composer's early works which
are as masterful and enjoyable as the Beethoven opus 5 cello sonatas.
They are a beautiful example of the best music from the gradual shift from
the classical to romantic period.  Any list members out there who have a
special affection for the an early work or set of works of a particular
composer?

Don Satz