From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:25:59 -0600
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>The hype has been incredible.  I seem to recall that Alec Ross wrote in
>the New Yorker that Ades was the greatest English composer since Purcell.

To me, Ross seems to be a curious soul.  Sometimes I feel like he is
about to make a point I can agree with, or make a clear statement...but
in the end, I often wonder...what does he really think?  I admire the
remarkable breath of his knowledge and his writing abilities but...  And
when he does give me a clear indication of his thinking...well, I end
up agreeing about 50% of the time...

Maybe it is just my being older, but I could relate to Andrew Porter and
Wintrop Sargent.  I still have some wonderful letter from Sargent...I
disagreed with something he wrote and wrote him a letter. Was he ever
forceful in what he wrote.  At least I knew where he stood on things.

Karl