From:
LeRoy Van Hoesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:14:40 -0800
I wonder how many people remember listening, in grade school, to Walter
Damrosch broadcasting once a week to teach the kiddies "music appreciation?"
"The Ride of the Valkyries" and "In the Hall of the Mountain King" via
the school's steeple top Philco were carved in my mind forever.

But it was the Beethoven Fifth that really did it for me.  I can't recall
the year but it was some time prior to 1956.  I'd bought a new radio and
I wanted to give it a good tryout so I listened to the Sunday afternoon
concert of the New York Philharmonic which was broadcast in those days.

What great good luck that was.  I knew nothing about Beethoven and I'd
never head the Fifth before.  But the next day I bought a recording of
the Fifth and was on my way.  What an experience that was--

LeRoy Van Hoesen <[log in to unmask]>