From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:39:57 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>...Kahane gives the best balanced performance, absolutely nothing to even
>nit-pick over...  ...Kahane is fantastic - he is slow but so effective.
>His flow is superb, and the music just sways through my head...  ...and
>Kahane in the top echelon, ...

Jeff Kahane is, unfortunately for us, one of the world's best-kept secrets
as a pianist, one of my very favorite ones.  For those who don't know him,
he won the Rubinstein when young, placed in the Cliburn, now conducts the
Santa Rosa Symphony and directs the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (players
from the L.A.  Philharmonic).  Extremely musical.  The last two times I had
a chance to say hello (I don't know him, just like to tell him how much I
enjoy his performances) he expressed some dissatisfaction with his older
recording of these works.  As you probably know, he spent a good amount of
time studying early music and performance practice and is very illuminating
on the subject when he has time to discuss this on the Compuserve forum.

Those in the L.A. area shouldn't miss him if he does a turn at the piano
(last year he played the Goldberg variations) and of course shouldn't miss
his conducting, as he does things, with even student orchestras, that
energize what are too often soggy pieces in other hands.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html   search sheet music, videos, CDs
http://www.andrys.com/cbooks.html  newer classical music books