From:
Alan Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 23:46:03 +0100
Len Fehskens wrote:

>I go to concerts regularly, even Boston Symphony Orchestra concerts
>conducted by the routinely maligned Seiji Ozawa, and I am enthralled.

I went to a BSO/Ozawa concert recently at Carnegie Hall and was likewise
enthralled.  The Knaben Wunderhorn with Thomas Hampson was very good, the
Shostakovich 5 quite awesome.  I also noticed that the whole concert was
conducted from memory (also that the upholstery was red).

In London, where I usually hang out, I can't do what I did in New York.
When the Bostonians come to London they sell out the Albert Hall months in
advance.  The Albert Hall has of course more than twice the capacity of the
Carnegie, as well as being acoustically inferior (and much further from the
subway!).  At the Carnegie we just turned up about half-an-hour before the
show and there were tickets still available at all prices.  I was also
accosted several times outside the hall by people offering tickets at a
discount.  No doubt there are various theories about this.

Alan Moss