From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:34:48 PDT
Having more time, I'd like to explain my selections:

Maher's 4th symphony (last movement) - This is such a gorgeous movement
full of longing and hope.  When I'm done lstening, I always feel a mixture
of optimism and insecurity.  Alexander/Haitink on Philips does it best for
me.

Mahler's Das Lied (last movement) - Although possessing such a wealth of
emotional material and range, the movement strikes me most for its seamless
structure and development.  A true story from start to finish.  I favor
Giulini on DG.

Mozart's P.C.  24 (1st movement) - In addition to having all the
characteristics Mozart generally provides, there's a demonic quality to
this movement that sets it apart for me.  And nobody, but nobody, plays
it as well as Frantz(sp?) on Eurodisc.

Symphonie Fantastique (2nd movement) - I've been *told* that this a great
piece of music when in an altered state.  I'm just naturally altered.  It
gives me a vivid sense of elegant ballroom dancing with a few twists to say
the least; the ending climax is outstanding.  I'll take Abbado on DG.

Beethoven's 9th (last movement) - We talked a lot about this one not long
ago.  Bernstein on Sony is my current favorite.

Beethoven's Hammerklavier (3&4) - long but compact and so poetic and
powerful.  Also, the best transition passage I've ever heard.  Pollini on
DG is the best.

Beethoven's string quartet op.127 (1st movement) - For me, the most
exciting and visual quartet movement I know.  The Lindsays on ASV make
it all happen.

Brahms Clarinet Quintet (1st movement) - This is some of the most beautiful
music in the world, with a beauty that never fades for me.  I like Keith
Puddy/Delme Quartet on IMP.

Schumann Piano Concerto (3rd movement) - I think it's the best piano music
in an orchestral setting I've heard.  And, the piano's interaction with the
orchestra is perfect to my ears.  Brendel on Philips and Bolet on Decca are
my favorites.

Schubert Piano Sonata, D959(1st movement) - All the drama and poetry and
lightness I could want in one package.  Brendel on Philips is superb.

Schubert Piano Trio, D929 (1st movement) - I liked but did not love this
movement until I listened to La Gala Scienza on Winter & Winter.  They just
brought the movement to life for me.

Haydn Cello Concerto No. 1 (first movement) - This is such simple music
on the surface; reminds me a little of the C Major Prelude from Bach's WT
.  But, it's perfect music - beautifully constructed.  And, I think it
benefits greatly from period instruments.  I love Hogwood's version on
Decca.

Don Satz