From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:44:28 -0700
I asked about cataloging Galuppi sonatas, and thanks to all who replied.
Unfortunately nobody seems to have a clue what the deal really is...

Scott Morrison:

>I know nothing about the numbering, etc. But I do know that I have several
>recordings of one of my pianistic idols, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli,
>playing the Sonata No. 5 in C. An absolutely delightful rococo sonata.

Several people mentioned this recording to me.  Apparently it is the
'popular' sonata.  Unfortunately, what I have is called "Sonata in D" and
that's -all-.  Not TOO helpful, eh? I guess what I want to know is:  where
does the "No.  5" come from? I think its spurious, something a record exec
or somebody made up as far as I can tell, because some places number them,
seemingly randomly, or by convenience, and as many others do not.  Found a
Galuppi webpage under construction with a nice bio, but virtually no
musical information (yet, I hope).

>It's interesting that the 1954 Grove - the only one to hand - mentions
>not one word about his compositions for keyboard, talking only about his
>renown as an opera composer.

The 1976 Grove mentions only that he wrote over 100 sonatas, toccatas and
other short pieces for keyboard.  Also not too helpful.  And his sonatas
are little recorded.  [When does that damn Grove 2000 come out anyway? I'm
dying out here.  I shoulda picked up that 1925 (!) copy --all 4 volumes!--
I found in a used bookstore in Iowa City once.  Didn't have the $90 on me
or I would've snatched it up!]

Bob K., still trying