From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:32:23 -0500
I don't know how one measures wisdom of rats, but all that "research"
about Mozart making your baby smarter etc.  is nonsense - it is simply not
reproducible and therefore can't be regarded as scientific.  The recording
industry claims it's true, because it allows them to sell a lot of CDs that
would otherwise not sell in such quantities.  (Those "baby" CDs are just
compilations of previous material, bleeding chunks of music.)

Why Mozart? First, because that's the name most people think of when it
comes to classical music (often they can't come up with any other name).
Second, the common perception is that Mozart's music is easy, lightweight,
cheerful, cute - just what you want for a baby.  After all (still according
to this perception), Mozart was an eternal child, never grew up, was a kind
of harmless idiot savant.

Actually, when the recording industry milked Mozart for good (they ran out
of stupid titles), they did come up with CDs featuring Bach ("Baby wants
Bach", I'm not making this up!), Beethoven, and perhaps a few others.

And please remember that what's wise for a rat may be not wise for a human
child.

-Margaret