From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 15:51:55 -0500
For Yanks Only:

Dave Harman's comment that, "since the days of Prop 13 the only music that
kids in U.S.  schools are taught to appreciate is the sound of money going
into a cash register" is not only snotty, it is manifestly false.  While I
cannot say that I know of anything quite like the laudable Canadian school
described in the original post, here in Virginia where I reside, there are
active CM programs for children attending government schools.  One such
child, a sixth grader, resides in my household.  She plays violin in a
school orchestra, in addition to studying the piano privately.  Although
the orchestra is unlikely to win acclaim wide and far- I don't think it's
intended for serious young musicians- it is open to all with the interest
and ability to pay a fairly nominal instrument rental.  I even think PTA
will cover the cost of the instrument in hardship cases.

Why Mr Harman feels it necessary to calumniate the educational system in
the USA is beyond me.  While there is much to criticize in our schools and
our culture, it would be helpful if one's claims could bear a resemblence
to the truth.  Perhaps Mr Harmon's indictment accurately describes the
situation in El Paso, where Prop 13 could hardly be cited as a proximate
cause.

Larry Sherwood

[Actually, that was partially my fault.  I had intended to bounce Dave's
 message back to him for revision as "Prop 13" is a California law
 limiting property taxes, and thus has no bearing on schools anywhere
 else, much less El Paso, Texas.  -Dave]