From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:14:52 -0300
Joyce Maier, in response to Margaret Mikulska:

>>The most deplorable thing is that Sieghard Brandenburg, in a footnote in
>>Henle's edition of LvB's collected letters, claims that Solomon solved the
>>riddle definitely.
>
>Yes, that's very regrettable indeed, particularly because I know -by inside
>information- that there's an unpublished Beethoven letter in which he wrote
>some striking and amazing lines about the Brentano family.

Please, tell me what does that letter says!!!.  I know that Solomon's
book have many weak points --the Freudian blab among them--, but I find
the chapter devoted to the "Immortal beloved" still convincing.  He makes
solid deductions after a large series of data.  Standard readers (among
which I count myself) have few possibilities to know if all data provided
by Solomon are wrong or right; so, his deduction appears to be very
persuasive.  I'm curious to know what are the weak points of his theory
about the "Immortal beloved".  However, If all the data handled by Solomon
in that chapter are true, I dare to think that a single letter --no matter
how amazing or striking can it be-- is not enough to discard his theory.

>IMHO these lines are enough to send the hypothesis for Antonie to the
>dustbin forever.

I hope that these lines are not another sample of the temporary anger
of Beethoven against his close friends, because that wouldn't work as an
argument against Solomon's theory.  All we know that Beethoven used to
erase with his elbow what he wrote with his hand.  So, I'm very
curious...what does these lines says?.

Pablo Massa