From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:40:42 +0000
Robert Peters asks:

>What exactly is classical music?

Sometimes, the easiest questions are the hardest to answer.  In the past,
the List discussed the definition of music itself and came to no agreement.
The same applies to defining classical music.

Is the Titanic soundtrack classical music? - Sony said it is.  I know
some folks who consider Whitney Houston's music classical in nature;
others think that folk music is classical.

At the local Hastings in Albuquerque, the classical section has more
discs devoted to a singer named Josh Groban(sp?) than to any other
performer.  I've listened to one of Josh's discs, and I consider it pop
music all the way and not very good at that; Josh even takes Bach's music
and butchers it thoroughly.  But Hastings considers Josh classical, and
nobody can prove them wrong.

My point is that a strict definition will never pass muster with the
majority of people.  Musicologists can come up with a definition for
classical music, but nobody listens to them.  I can give you a definition,
and nobody will listen to me.  That's all to the good.

Going over old ground, I previously stated that music was whatever an
individual considered it to be, and I'll stick with this same theme for
all sub-categories of music as well.  I don't see how it can be any other
way.  Also, notions of classical music change over time, requiring at
least a fluid definition.

I assume that Robert will get many responses to his question, and I look
forward to all the listmember views.

Don Satz