From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:07:40 -0400
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Would knowledgeable Listers care to enumerate works based on the poetry of
>Whitman? I would be interested in conducting a comparison in styles and
>treatment.

George Crumb's "Apparition" sets a long portion of that poem WW wrote
in mourning of Lincoln...  the portion Crumb selects however is not
Lincoln-specific.  Great piece-- a good intro to Crumb's vocal idiom (sort
of atonal muezzin-like sprechgesang) and piano idiom (extreme sparseness
alternating with Messiaenish density, with lots of "new sounds", ie
harmonics on the strings and other ghostly effects achieved by the pianist
sticking their hands inside the instrument).  It's on an all-Crumb CD (on
the Bridge label) with "Songs, Drones and Refrains Of Death" for Baritone
and chamber ensemble.

Jon Lewis