From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:51:08 +0100
Richard Pennycuickwrote:
About the Basic Repertoire list: I have deliberately avoided adding other
personal favourites and have attempted to be as unbiased as possible.

Now then, looking at his list I do not think Richard has altogether
succeeded in this.  Although I very much sympathise with his choice, you
cannot maintain the fact that inclusion of the Harris, Simpson, Schmidt,
Simpson, Thompson and Tubin symphonies are not very personal choices.
I also doubt that inclusion of the Glazounov instead of for example the
Mendelssohn violin concerto in unbiased.  Perhaps I may add a few choices
of my own, I confess, that I am extremely biased.

Classical:

Mozart:
 Pianoconcerto in c, KV 491
 Stringquartet in d, KV 421
 Quintet for wind instr. and piano KV451(?)

Romantic
 Schubert
Pianosonata in Bes
 Alkan,
Studies in the minor keys, op 39
 Dvorak
Celloconcerto

20th century:
Janacek
Symphonietta
Stringquartets
Nielsen:
Clarinetconcerto

Sibelius
Symphony ## 2&4

Milhaud
La carnaval d'Aix

Korngold
Stringquartets
Quintet for piano & strings

Rautavaara
Violinconcerto

This could be an item, that goes on and on and on..............  The main
point of it is, that every now and then personal favourites of contributors
surface, which may arouse the interest of the readers, as it does for me,
for which I am grateful, e.g.  it would have taken me much more time to
discover the Rautavaara concerto if not for this list.  Let us keep going

Peter Wisse
The Hague