From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:40:07 PDT
Tim Dickinson wrote:

>Earlier in the year, I started listening through Jando's and Roberts'
>Beethoven.  After getting through the first nine sonatas, I couldn't
>take Roberts repeated use of annoying hesitations and ditched the set
>(a *very* rare occurence for me).

Funny, those hesitations don't bother me much in Beethoven, but the
hesitations in the Roberts WTC set are very annoying to me.

>In its place, I got Brendel's Vox recordings, which I prefer to either of
>the other two.

Agreed.  Although not of very good sound quality, Brendel's performances,
IMHO, easily eclipse Roberts, Jando, and Perl.

>I don't care for Nimbus' somewhat cavernous sound either.

I've been unclear for years why a large number don't like the Nimbus
piano sound.  But, "cavernous" clarifies matters.  I suppose I like that
cavernous sound, but I don't consider the sound "hollow"; I think it's very
well focused.  Until very recently, I considered Decca piano sound poorly
focused.  And the sound supplied for Kovecevich by EMI is in the "we're
gonna pound you to death" category.

Regardless, it's great that there are so many Beethoven sonata recordings
to choose from - all tastes can be satisfied.

Don Satz