From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:08:18 -0700
Mats Norrman wrote:

>I have a recording of Das Lied von der Erde with Walter from 1948, with
>Katleen Ferrier and Set Svanholm.  How does this one compare with the
>others? I think Svanholms singing is so perfect in this one....

A remarkable performance.  However, if you have the Naxos version of
this, then it's one instance where I would say that the sound really is
a problem.  I believe the version in the NYPO Mahler box is much superior
as it comes from a better source.

Allow me to take this opportunity of pointing out that my survey of Das
Lied Von der Erde recordings has now been added to my continuing complete
survey of Mahler recordings.  Go to:

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/Daslied.htm

Tony Duggan,  England.