From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:42:46 -0400
David Runnion wrote:

>...I guess, but let's not be too quick to judge.  Why should she be a
>fraud? For the money? I doubt that she does the Mercedes thing on her
>concert income.  Fame? Has anybody really ever heard of this person?

Yes, really, REALLY.  She's quite well known (for a living composer,
that is).  And since she is (or was:  she's 70 now) professor of
composition at Mills College in CA - one of the best schools for modern
music - there are certainly quite a lot of people who heard about her.
BTW, those 13,100 hits on Google (incidentally, twice as much as for
our favourite Aaron Jay Kernis) do mean something.

>Are there ever any more than about 50 people in her audiences?

She has some recordings on "real" labels (as opposed to home-burned
CDs).  Amazon.com lists 13 CDs with her music - that's quite a lot for
an avant-garde composer.  (*With* her work, but not necessarily only
with her works.)

>No, I would think that her efforts are indeed artistic endeavors and she
>makes the music she does because she feels it and thats how she says what
>she wants to say.  So nobody likes listening to it? Fine.  Again, she's
>doing it for herself, not for you or me.

Well, why don't you all have a look at the web site:

   http://www.deeplistening.org/pauline/

-Margaret Mikulska