From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 21:24:35 -0500
Don Satz mentions my name:

>Quite a few months ago, both Steve Schwartz and I reviewed on this board
>a set of Bach's French Suites played by harpsichordist David Cates on
>the Music & Arts label.  I found the performances the best on the market;
>Steve considered them overly romanticized.  I didn't and still can't see
>how Steve came to his conclusions; it was as if we had listened to
>different performances.  Which one of us has the true insight into Bach's
>sound world - only Steve, only me, both of us, none of us?  Questions
>that can't really be answered except by Bach, and he's not talking.

Actually, in the final analysis, I don't care about Bach's opinion.  He's
just one of many, and his opinion doesn't carry as much weight with me
as my opinion does.  Call me a solipsist.  However, I don't even consider
you or me necessarily right.  We hear what we hear and make a case for
our reactions.  What else can we do?  Cates, incidentally, is starting
to grow on me -- as I speculated in my review that he might.

Steve Schwartz