From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 19:56:40 +0100
Robert Stumpf wrote:

>I was thinking...a habit I don't recommend, about Mahler as I have been
>listening to his 5th by Barbirolli, and began to wonder what is "typcial
>Mahler"? I mean, if you had to select one of his symphonies as "typical"
>as perhaps an introduction to his 'sound world' which one and why?

I can't.  There are subtle differences and I cannot begin to select one as
typical.

Look at things this way: In fact, Mahler wrote only one symphony.  But
it has eleven "movements" and the eleventh movement was left unfinished.
In other words, his whole output was one gigantic work.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler survey now contains THIRD Symphony:
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/Mahler/index.html