From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:25:37 -0400
Steve Schwartz replies to David Orea:

>>In the Philips LP, Katia & Marielle Labeque are the performers of the
>>version for two pianos.
>
>This is an arrangement for 2 pianos and orchestra especially commissioned
>by the Labeques.  I don't think much of it.

I have this LP, and the notes do not mention that the Lebeques commissioned
the concerto version.  The *implication* is that it is by GG, but the liner
notes don't actually say this either.  The notes draw a comparison about
playing the Rhapsody in GG's arrangement for 2 pianos and playing the
concerto in the same way.  On re-reading the notes, I am even not sure
that the Rhapsody version for 2 pianos is GG's.  His 2 piano version is
mentioned, but the notes don't actually say that this is the version on
the record.

Is there other information that says that the girls commissioned the
concerto? I don't read German, but the French notes don't shed much light
either.  Helas!!

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan