From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:03:38 -0500
There is an article in the January 2000 Harpers magazine called "The
Countess of Stanlein Restored." It's by Nicholas Delbianco and uses a
particular Stradivarius cello as the take off point for his ruminations on
instruments, luthiers, and the relationship of musicians to both of them.
In this instance the musician who owns the cello is Bernard Greenhouse,
founding member of the Beaux Arts Trio and father in law of the author.

Frankly, though perfectly clear Del Bianco's writing is not compelling.
But his story is. The article is filled with information about history and
current times. The cello almost becomes a living presence. I'm not sure if
the article can be found online, but I recommend it to anyone with an
interest in string music.

Ed