From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:49:59 -0500
Karl Miller wrote:

>I wonder, would there be a market for a classical review journal printed
>entirely in black and white and not on glossy paper?  I would be interested
>if the reviews and articles were informed...fortunately we have classical.net
>and other online services.

As a writer for American Record Guide, I've kept out of this discussion
of Gramophone.  That said, I do want to point out that, while ARG's are
glossy, the content is black and white, mostly all text, with only a few
pictures, and very few ads.

>I should also add...if you are a record company and hope to ever see one
>of your artists on the cover, you had better be willing to buy lots of
>advertizing space.

Most of ARG's covers, if not all of them, are esssentially artwork
announcing Overviews, articles, features, etc.  I have not examined all
my back issues, but I don't recall any that would serve to promote
artists.

Roger Hecht