From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 06:11:37 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1857)
     Kinderszenen, Opus 15

Claudio Arrau
Philips 420871
Recorded 1974
Couplings: Waldszenen/Carnaval

Part 3 is devoted to Claudio Arrau's recording of Kinderszenen.  I might
as well state up-front that it is one of the finest on record and is
particularly memorable in the slower and more poignant scenes.

Arrau begins by taking us to foreign lands in a lovely and perceptive
interpretation excellently blending the wonder of discovery and the loss
of youth.  The "Pleading child" scene from Arrau is as good as it gets; he
pleads so gorgeously and with total conviction.  Exceptional performances
of the slower scenes continue with the popular "Dreaming" scene where Arrau
combines subtle nuance with a sublime tenderness.

The sole scene of Arrau's that is well off the mainstream is "By the
fireside" where he slows down the proceedings and provides the freshest
and most pristine performance I've ever heard.  Arrau's "Knight of the
hobby-horse" is an exciting brew of whimsy and punch.  Easily my favorite
Arrau scene is the 12th(Slumbering child) which he injects with the most
intense melancholy on record.

I do have a few minor quibbles which I'll dispatch with quickly.  "Curious
Story" and "Catch me" would benefit from a little more 'fizz', "Important
event" finds Arrau engaging in some unattractive key-banging, and the
fright in "Being frightened" is on the low side.  Everything else is great
or magical in impact.

The recorded sound is excellent for its time and actually a fine soundstage
for Arrau; it's quite neutral and basically allows Arrau to do whatever he
likes.  With Arrau at the helm, more isn't needed.

Don's Conclusions: With little exception, Arrau presents the total
package.  Most memorable are the slower scenes and "The poet speaks" where
Arrau blends comfort, tenderness, and poignancy into irresistable desserts.
Arrau joins Moiseiwitsch, Kubalek, Schnabel, Moravec, and Horszowski as
my preferred recorded versions of Kinderszenen.  I hope that additional
versions are added to this esteemed grouping as I traverse my way through
the reviews.

Don Satz