From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:39:40 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Both are controversial, because they have little to do with Bartok.
>Bartok left a pile of chaotic sketches, too chaotic to speak of any
>"reconstruction".  Each can be better regarded as a new work, based on
>Bartok's sketches.  It does not represent Bartok's music, quite simply.
>For the same reasons, neither does the Bartok Jr/Neubauer work.

There is now a third version by the Hungarian viola player Csaba Erdelyi.
This in my opinion is a great improvement on the other two.  Unfortunately
Boosey and Hawkes, the copyright holders have not authorised this version
so he has published and recorded it in New Zealand where copyright is only
50 years.  Score and CD will however be legally obtainable anywhere in the
world via the internet.

Paul Silverthorne