From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:55:58 +0100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>>>Most classical listeners can't even read the music they listen to.
>>
>>So what? Do you have to be able to paint to love art?
>
>No, you don't.  But you do have to be able to look, and it's also nice if
>you can look intelligently.

My ability to read music is not very good but I think I nevertheless have
a good ability to listen intelligently.  You don't have to read music, you
need a sense for structure - and an open mind and an open heart.

>>>As for electronic keyboards, most of them really don't help one learn
>>>classical music from the inside out or, indeed, keyboard technique.
>>>There are so many bells and whistles on the thing, you can sound pretty
>>>extraordinary simply by pressing down one note.
>>
>>And classical music is meant to be discipline and pleasureless work?
>
>No. Why do you believe such work is pleasureless?

I don't think so.  But it bothered me that you spoke so low about the many
charming gadgets of the electric keyboard which are simply fun - and fun is
a very good thing.

Robert