From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:41:05 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>The one success that eluded [Morton] Gould was Broadway and pop song.

I would say that success eluded Gould generally.  Why pick on Broadway
and pop song? After all, Gould's one big Broadway musical "Arms and the
Girl" got as much attention, more or less, than the majority of his other
compositions.  Two songs from the show, "Nothin' for Nothin'" and "There
Must Be Something Better Than Love" were recorded by both Pearl Bailey
and Artie Shaw (with Mary Ann McCall on vocals).  Moreover, "Pavanne," an
adaptation of the theme from the American Symphonette No.  2, was recorded
by both Glenn Miller and Jimmie Lunceford.

>Gould is one of those American interwar and postwar musicians - along
>with Piston, Diamond, Schuman, Sessions, Mennin, Fine, Talma, Hanson,
>Foss, Blitzstein, Lees, Bergsma, Shapero, and Thomson - too good to lose.

I find this an example of extravagance by association.

John Dalmas