From:
Stuart Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 08:31:22 +1200
I have recently heard an extract from the above new release by Chandos.
The estate gave permission for this recording of the original version of
the London Symphony to be made.  The estate will not however at this stage
permit this version to be performed publicly.  You get an extra 20 minutes
not previously heard.  This portion was cut out in the later version as the
section was considered too dissonant for the audiences of the time.  Sir
Arnold Bax apparently lamented the fact that this was deleted.  According
to the May Edition of Gramophone, Ursula Vaughan-Williams Granted
permission to record the original version on two Conditions: 1.That the
London Symphony orchestra be the orchestra involved.  2.  That the symphony
should never be performed live.  The Disc is on Chandos CHAN 9902.  I
highly recommend it.  I have only heard part of it, but it is certainly
enough to whet my appetite.  Regards

Stuart Sinclair