From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:32:30 -0700
I wrote, to Bob D.:

>(Hi, Bob D.) Counterpoint, IMHO, is one of the near-lost (not yet;
>constantly revived, to some degree) arts that helps one along from
>'guy-who-writes-music' to 'composer'.

To which Bob D. replies:

>Ok, if that's right then why was Beethoven regarded as the greatest of all
>time (until recently Mozart took over) yet criticised for his not so good
>counterpoint?

Got me.  I love LvB.  I guess it had to do more with innovation and form,
and the so-called "heroic" style.  I think I could cite examples of good
Beethovenian counterpoint, but I'd have to study scores to check.

I was not aware Mozart had surpassed Beethoven in popular esteem.  What is
your source? (I guess I still hold JSB up as my model.)

>There has to be something more, an emotional connection of some kind.  I
>get this from nearly all composers.

I agree;

>But, I'm afraid it's lacking from most of Mozart's works.

For you, of course, not everyone.  And I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't
work for you.  Oh, well.  There is (as they say) no accounting for taste.
I was (happily) schooled on this List some time ago for my comments about
Handel.  Good clean opinionated fun.

Bob K.