From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 10:56:58 +1000
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I know that Bresnick won the prestigious (and very remunerative) Charles
>Ives Living Prize in 1998, which requires the winner to give up his 'day
>job' for three years while receiving a total of $225,000.  (It was more
>recently won by our own Kansas City composer, Chen Yi.)

I don't know Bresnick's music; but i do know that Bejing Conservatory
& Hunan (? - don't have Ms Chen's biography to hand here) province in
PRChina would take serious exception to KC's claiming of this skilled
musical craftswoman.  I must admit to personally finding the music of
Chen's (current?) husband, Zhou Long more invigorating, though: Chen often
goes for the kind of lo-cal modernism which is never tough enough to be
really bracing or lyrical enough to really sing that for some strange
reason always gets on my goat.

All the best,
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
endeavour2 project <http://www.geocities.com/robtclements/endeavour2.html>