From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:58:16 +1000
I like wine.  These days it is usual in some circles to speak deprecatingly
of sweet wines.  Dry wines are the thing.  Sweet wines are for the
uninitiated.

It is much the same with music.  It is not unusual to find the words
"cloying", "saccharine", or even "sweet" in disapproving critical reviews.

Was it always like this? My memory says not.  Before 1950 or so I remember
people liking sweet music, never complaining that it was too sweet.  This
could simply be because of the people with whom I discussed music.  They
may have been uninitiated, or have had vulgar musical tastes, for all I
know.  I continue to like sweet music (as well as dry).

Is there someone on the list who has studied the history of taste in music?
Some may say that this is merely the history of music, but I think this is
not really the case.  There have been a number of composers whose works
have been less appreciated in their own time than they are now.

Could it be connected with the fact that sugar is now regarded as a health
hazard?:-)>

Alan Dudley