From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:23:40 -0700
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Felix Delbrueck:

>>That reminds me of a question I've long wanted to ask: how quietly do you
>>actually have to set your loudspeaker volume to get the true acoustical
>>effect of these clavichord recordings?
>
>I don't know that there's an answer because it depends on the system on
>which you're playing your CDs, the recording level of a particular CD, the
>sound qualities in your listening room and most importantly, the volume
>preference of the individual.

I don't know about anyone else but I think Felix is asking the question,
"At what volume (irregardless of system) must I listen to a clavichord
recording to most accurately emulate the REAL acoustical volume produced by
a clavichord.  If this is the case then someone must tell him how loud the
music should be played to sound as if he is listening to someone playing a
clavichord right in the same room with him.  Since I have not had the good
fortune to hear a clavichord in person, I cannot provide an answer based on
experience.  I would imagine the instrument to produce a rather quiet sound
based on all that I have read.

-Wes Crone